Board of Health
Town Office Building
1625 Massachusetts Avenue
Lexington, MA 02420
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Appointed by the Town Manager, the 5 member Lexington Board of Health acts as an advisory and oversight Board to the Lexington Public Health Division.
In addition, the Board of Health is held responsible, (under various Massachusetts General Laws), for disease prevention and control, and health and environmental protection and promoting a healthy community. Lexington Board of Health members frequently reference Massachusetts Department of Public Health and Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection protocols.
The Lexington Board of Health develops, implements and enforces local health regulations, oversees environmental health inspections to maintain minimum standards for sanitation in housing and food service, and assures that the basic health needs of their community are being met.
The Board of Health has lifted the indoor mask mandate (PDF). This includes schools and school buses.
The State mandate, which requires mask wearing in most transportation and healthcare settings, is still in effect. See the State mandate.
Due to the current COVID 19 State of Emergency, the Board of Health has adopted an Emergency Suspension of all non-essential Public Health activities with some exceptions as detailed in the order.
- Article I- Persons with Bare Feet (PDF)
- Article III- Smoking and Tobacco Products (PDF)
- Article IX- Groundwater and Water Supply Protection (PDF)
- Article V- Use of Recombinant DNA Molecule Technology (PDF)
- Article VI- Animals (PDF)
- Article VIII- Floor Drains (PDF)
- Article X- Private Wells (PDF), amended 2022
- Article XI- Dumpsters (PDF)
- Article XII- On Site Sewage Disposal Systems (PDF)
- Article XIII- Food Establishments (PDF)
- Article XIV- Nuisances (PDF)
- Article XIX- Regulations Governing the Practice of Bodywork (PDF)
- Article XV- Asbestos Removal, Containment and Encapsulation (PDF)
- Article XVI- Bathing Places (PDF)
- Article XVII- Body Art Establishments and Practitioners (PDF), amended 2022
- Article XVIII- Grease Interceptor Requirements for Food Service Facilities (PDF)