Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Lexington's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Work
The Town of Lexington is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and equitable community that thrives on the principles of respect, dignity, and fairness. We recognize that diversity enriches our community, brings together unique perspectives, and strengthens our ability to effectively serve our residents.
Following the national dialog on issues of social and racial equity, in the summer of 2020, the Town Manager began a more formal process of examining our policies, procedures and practices as they relate to municipal operations. This includes engaging professionals in the field, and outside consultants, to ensure comprehensive, unbiased evaluation.
The Select Board and Town Management are committed to ensuring that our community is free from racism, discrimination, and hate.
- Engaging All Aces, Inc. to serve as our Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity Transformation (DIET) partner. During this engagement, the Town will develop a comprehensive race equity plan to ensure that Lexington is an equitable community, employer, and place for business.
- Working with a Core Team made up of municipal staff and a Citizen Advisory Council, made up of members from community organizations and committees representing the diversity of Lexington's municipal workforce and population.
- Providing Racial Equity training for staff and the community.
- Creating a new staff position in the Town Manager's Office responsible for DEI efforts.
- Joining both the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE) and the National League of Cities (NLC) in order to take advantage of their collective Racial Equity resources.
- Engaging the services of Town Counsel to begin the work of reviewing all Town policies. The starting point of this work was a review of the Police Department policies to ensure there is no unintended bias or discriminatory language and to make recommendations to the Select Board.
- Introducing the staff of the Police Department through short video clips that explain their work with the community, and the services and functions of the Department.