Pay Bills Online
Abandoned and Unclaimed Funds
FY15 tax rates -
Residential: $14.86 per $1,000 of assessed value
Commercial, Industrial, Personal Property: $29.10 per $1,000 of assessed value
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday -Friday
Postal Address: 1625 Massachusetts Avenue, Lexington, MA 02420
Location: Town Hall, 1625 Massachusetts Avenue, First Floor
Telephone: For questions about your tax bill, status of payments, or any other tax-related information please call 781- 698-4600
Fax: (781) 860-7003
e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personnel Directory: all numbers are in area code 781
|Assistant Tax Collector
||Arnold F. Lovering
Description of Services
The Treasurer/Collector is appointed by the Town Manager and supervised by the Assistant Town Manager for Finance. The Tax Collector and staff:
The Treasurer is responsible for the receipt, investment and disbursement of all Town funds. The Treasurer and office staff:
Manage all town bank accounts;
Conduct both short term and long term borrowing for the Town;
Invest available funds; and
Manage School Student Activity Accounts, specialized bank accounts set up for each elementary and secondary school for the processing of collection and spending of funds supplied by the students for their extracurricular activities.
Municipal Lien Certificate Pricing
$25 -- Residential
$50 -- Condominium
$150 -- Commercial
FY2014 Real Estate Tax Information
Property taxes can be paid on-line
Real estate taxes are calculated as follows:
- The amount of tax shown on the 1st and 2nd quarter bills (issued July 1 and October 1 respectively) is estimated. Generally, each bill is based on 1/4 of the prior year tax bill plus amounts to reflect the 2.5% growth in the Town's tax levy allowed under Proposition 2 1/2.
- The 3rd and 4th quarter bills (issuance dates of January 1st and April 1st respectively) are actual tax bills based on tax rates adopted by the Board of Selectmen in December 2012. The approved Fiscal Year 2014 tax rates are as follows:
- For residential properties, $15.51 per $1,000 of assessed value.
- For commercial and industrial properties and for personal property, $29.56 per $1,000 of assessed value.
Also, all quarterly bills include an amount for the annual Community Preservation Act surcharge approved at the Town election on March 6, 2006 and any Betterments or unpaid Water/Sewer Bills liened to the Real Estate bills.
- For residential property owners, the CPA surcharge is calculated as 3% of a parcel's net tax, which is the fiscal year residential tax rate multiplied by a parcel's assessed property value minus $100,000. For commercial and industrial property owners, the surcharge is calculated as 3% of a parcel's full assessed value multiplied by the commercial/industrial tax rate.
- Please note that certain qualifying property taxpayers are eligible for an exemption from the CPA surcharge or might meet the criteria for other exemptions for disabled veterans, elderly, or blind persons.
Applications for property tax abatements and CPA surcharge exemptions can be filed at the Assessor's Office. The deadline for filing for an application for property tax abatements is the due date of the 3rd Quarter tax bill, which is typically February 1st. For more information, please contact the Assessor's Office.
If you have questions on how your tax was determined, you should contact the Assessors Office. If you have questions on payments, you should contact the Collector's Office.