Minuteman Bikeway Paving Project (updated 10/5/15) Crews have completed the final paving. Finish work still needs to be completed. Once it is scheduled, details will be uploaded here. The detours outlined below correspond to this diagram.
There are five alternatives which are described for westbound bicycle traffic. Eastbound bicycle traffic should use the same route in reverse:
Alternative 1: From the Bedford Street closure, this detour will be posted with signage at all major junctions.
- Left onto Bedford Street - .68 mi
- Right onto Worthen Road - .38 mi
- Right onto Mass Avenue – 1.01 mi
- Right onto Wood Street – 1.29 mi
- Right onto Hartwell Ave - .78 mi
- Left on to Maguire Road which turns into Summer Street -.37 mi
- Right onto Wiggins Road-.15 mi
Alternative 1A for traffic coming from the town center bikes can exit the bike trail at Camilla Place behind the fire Station and connect to alternative 1 at Worthen road. – 500 feet
Alternative 2, this detour does involve some none paved areas. From the Bedford Street closure. This detour will be posted with signage at all major junctions.
- Left onto Bedford Street - 150 ft.
- Right onto Sunny Knoll - .12 mi
- Right onto Reed Street - .17 mi
- Left onto Garfield street to the end - .26 mi
- Travel along the gravel trail to Cedar street - .27 mi
- Left onto Cedar Street – 275 ft.
- Right onto Martingale - .17 mi
- Right onto Freemont - .26 mi
- Left onto Constitution Road - .17 mi
- Right onto Paul Revere Road - .20 mi
- Right onto Mass Ave and follow the remainder of alternative 1
Alternative 3 for bike traffic coming from Arlington or East Lexington. Avoids the hill on Mass Ave but requires more on-road riding. Exit the bike trail at the Seasons Four Driveway. This detour will be posted with signage at all major junctions.
- Take a left onto the Driveway – 270 ft.
- Left onto Mass Avenue - .31 mi
- Right onto Marrett Road- 1.9 mi
- Right onto School Street - .48 mi
- Left onto Massachusetts Avenue and follow the remainder of alternative 1.
Alternative 4 - not recommended for recreational bicycle users. From the Bedford closure. This detour will not be posted.
- Right onto Bedford Street -1.18 mi
- Bear right into the Jug handle and cross Hartwell at the traffic signal -
- Proceed to the Hartwell Avenue closure - .62 mi
Alternative 5 - not recommended for recreational bicycle users. West bound bicycle traffic coming the town center. This detour will not be posted.
- Right onto Revere Street- 230 ft.
- Left onto Ledgelawn Avenue- .2 mi
- Right onto Hamilton Street- .11 mi
- Go through the roundabout to Burlington Street - .39 mi
- Bear left onto Grove Street .73 mi
- Left onto Eldred Street - .47 mi
- Right onto Bedford Street then follow the remainder of alternative 4.